Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Age of Innocence and me





Whenever the subject of Newland Archer comes up, all 17 of my brothers simultaneously look down, shake their heads and mutter "poor bastard." That pretty much sums things up. Newland Archer is a poor bastard. He is, as many of you are, torn between his affections for two different women. To complicate matters the two women are cousins, members of a very well to do and influential New York family. May Welland is a young, respectable (i.e. a virgin), beautiful girl. Her every move reeks of compassion and innocence and it is only as the novel progresses that we begin to see how cold and calculating she is and lose all sense of pity for her. Her rival is the Countess Olenska, less young, less fresh (i.e. a strumpet), less beautiful woman. She is ruled by her passions and her independence and steadily gains our respect as the novel progresses. Unfortunately, Newland Archer is a tool and chooses May.



The novel opens at the opera, where Newland gets his first glance (since childhood) of Ellen Olenska. She has returned from Europe in disgrace. A failed marriage, a possible - no, probable - affair with the man who helped her escape her unhappy condition. She has lost much of her money, she lives in an unfashionable section of the city and she - gasp - is dressed inappropriately for the occasion. Later, she is held in contempt for visiting social climbers and other disgraced people, because she enjoys their society. Her family initially rallies around her but soon deserts her because she can not follow the rules of proper society. And, darn her, she just will NOT return to her husband so that they can forget about her.



Soon after this moment, Newland announces his engagement to May so that the Countess may have the support and protection of the Archers as well as May's family. He is continually thrown against the Countess and soon he begins to like it. She is everything that May, apparently, is not. She has traveled, is well read, and has had thoughts and feelings of her very own. While May strikes Archer as a blank page that he will get to fill in, the Countess is an equal and therefore interesting. When sparks start to warm his desire, he marries May. Poor bastard.



I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who hasn't read it. Let's just say that May isn't the innocent flower that she appears. Oh, yeah, she's a virgin but she's no pushover. She has a steel core and will tolerate no one messing with her perfect world, including her about-to-stray husband and her hussy cousin. May needs a good spanking but no one's man enough to hold her down. Especially her husband.



One of my favorite images from the book is captured on this edition's cover. (This is not the edition I read though. Mine had a crappy movie cover that completely missed the point of everything) May Archer, nee Welland, is frequently compared to the goddess Diana - virginal, athletic, with classic beauty and aloofness. You will remember that Diana was the archer in mythology, goddess of the hunt. A perpetual virgin, Diana killed any man who attempted to sully her in any way. She showed no mercy and no heart. This is also a perfect description of young May Archer and is underlined by her triumph at an archery contest which occurs half way through the novel. Diana is also, for some reason that I don't understand, the goddess of childbirth and this also reflects in May's character.



After reading The Age of Innocence, I want to know more about Edith Wharton's life. I'm intrigued by the fact that she also had an unhappy marriage and ended up leaving her husband. But, alas, this is all I know. Perhaps Steve or Sam could bring another layer of understanding of the book for me. Especially since my reading will definately include more of Edith Wharton's books. Soon, I hope.

20 comments:

F-Stop said...

One last thought... I wish that I had read this when it initially was printed. Steve wouldn't let me though. He said that Wharton should be at home trimming her husband's wick (We used gas lamps back then)not out writing books.

But reading it now, I kept being distracted by the name of May and Ellen's grandmother, Mrs. Manson Mingott. Everytime I read it, I thought of Marilyn or Charles. Very annoying.

Anonymous said...

I'm overdue for a classic, and, lo and behold, Sara has the craptacular Michele Pfeifer cover. Guess it'll do!

F-Stop said...

Oops, I misspoke. We used OIL lamps. It was Steve that had gas.

F-Stop said...

Elmo, the Michele Pfeifer cover is the book's biggest drawback. But I loved the feel of the paper as I read so it kinda made up for things. Enjoy!

brian said...

How can a Michelle Pfeifer cover possibly be considered a drawback!? I don't understand the logic??

F-Stop said...

Brian, there are a few things about the cover that make it so painful.

1. It is the movie cover and, therefore, by definition, evil.

2. It is a VERY unflattering picture of Ms. Pfeifer. I suppose they were going for passion, but it really makes her look like a dead fish. I'm sure that she didn't approve the cover.

3. On the cover, Daniel Day-Lewis is leaning over to kiss her on the cheek. It looks too The-Duke's-Scandal romancy. This is not a love story and should not be approached as such.

4. Lastly - Movie cover. 'Nuf said.

Anonymous said...

And as a preamble to peoples' nasty thoughts about you as you're seen reading it in public, you can run up to them and explain, "I'm only reading this because I LOVED the movie."

F-Stop said...

I saw the movie when it first came out and remember liking it. Luckily it's been years and I'd forgotten enough of it so that the book was fresh to me. Now I want to go back and watch the movie again.

(The movie cover still sucks.)

Anonymous said...

I thought Gillian Anderson was in the movie? Did they do two 'Age of Innocences'?

Mrs. Mingott was the enormously fat woman with the 'adipose chuckle,' right? She was one of my favorite characters. I love how her incredible obesity set her outside the social codes. I think there are far too few good fat people in western letters. That's a serious ommission especially for contemporary American writers!

I liked your description of May, Beepy--it's interesting, I find that women are much harder on her than men, who tend to pity her a little. After all, Newland chose to marry her--what exactly was she supposed to do once she realized he was actually in love with her cousin? It's not her fault she's not stimulating--she never pretended to be.

Still, great book, huh?

steve said...

Wait - what was that about my gas?

F-Stop said...

Sam, you got me thinking more about May and Newland. I think it is clear in Wharton's writing that May is what she is by her upbringing. And the fact that Newland picks her is what makes him such a flawed bastard.

It's an interesting point that you made that men forgive her more than women do. Is this just your gut feeling or are you getting that from other people's writing. I'm half wanting to read a bunch of essays and reviews on the subject, although Steve knows I won't. Also what readers thought when "Age of Innocence" was written vs. what they think now. Any thoughts?

F-Stop said...

Oh, and Mrs. Manson Mingott was a great character. She's the only one I'd want to spend any time with. (I just can't get past the Manson) I think she contrasts nicely with (oh crap, what was her name?) Mrs. van der Luydens. I picture her as very thin and very neat. We know she is very proper and very socially aloof.

Man, I almost want to sit down and read this book again this afternoon!


Gillian Anderson was in a BBC production of "Bleak House". Might you be thinking of that?

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm finished- and so proud of Newland for killing her in the end. Actually, this reminded me of what life became with my high school sweetie- rule-laden and suffocating!

Anonymous said...

We read 'Age of Innocence' for a doomed book club I was once in, and that dichotomy was in the reactions. But also, I happen to deeply understand women.

Anonymous said...

Elmo, don't say 'Well' so often. Elmo, don't use single hyphens to indicate dashes. Elmo, don't say you're happy May died, people won't understand you're joking. Elmo, why are you spending your time reading impractical blogs?

steve said...

As opposed to the practical kind? Surely only Stevereads can make that claim!

steve said...

And Sam, you may very well understand women deeply, but from the way you slapped around poor Elmo just then, you sure have a lot to learn about hermaphrodites.

Unknown said...

Oh, snap!

Anonymous said...

Everyone got a magic pill except me.

Anonymous said...

I-I-I mean, yes dear. Coming!