Tuesday, January 1, 2008

BookMOBYle - Drop off 1

Here they are. The crew of Cap'n Ahab's BookMOBYle have arrived. After waiting nearly all day for my initial shipment, they have finally arrived. They reek of liquor and sea salt; they are disheveled and hungover but they are here. Ahab descends via the gangplank, throws a bundle at my "feet" and sneers "Thar ya are, ya dingy cow."

The package is small and rectangular, done up with brown paper and string. I am overcome with excitement. As I struggle to open the package, I realize the great drawback to my manatee flesh - I curse Neptune who gave me these fused digits and no thumb. I'll have to speak to the good Cap'n about different packaging for the next shipment.

After hours of tearing at the paper with my teeth, a small crab takes pity on me and snips my books free in a matter of seconds. The books tumble onto the rocks proving the old adage "no good deed goes unpunished" by nearly crushing my helpful friend, who scurries off a wiser crustacean.



I present to you the first two books I'll read in 2008. Atonement by Ian McEwan and The Worm Ouroboros by E.R.Eddison. For those of you who are keeping track, the former is the King of Clubs, the latter the Two of Clubs.

Check back later this week for my progress.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The two in the back are grinning suspiciously...

brian said...

As a Manatee, perhaps you should consider getting the audio versions? Although, you'll have to keep your head above water or else you might get shocked.

I've heard from a few sources that the movie version of 'Atonement' was disappointing.

What's this other book you're reading? I'm not familiar.

F-Stop said...

"The Worm Ouroboros" is a fantasy novel written back in the 20's. I've just started reading it and have only some very fuzzy impressions so far. Another 50 to 100 pages and I figure I'll have something to say about it.

I've heard some negative things about "Atonement" from co-workers but I'm going to give it a shot anyone.

F-Stop said...

Oh when will I learn to proofread? I meant to say that I would give "Atonement" a shot anyway (not anyone).

Anonymous said...

Kiera Knightly has perfected this "British Pretension" iconography thing. Can she be photographed without the ennui of the 21st century weighing down her eighty pound frame? Sorry, bit of a rant there.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind weighing down her eighty pound frame.
(rimshot)

Anonymous said...

Probably feels like laying across garden tools.

steve said...

Beepy, I wouldn't have guessed in a million years you'd try 'The Worm Ouroboros,' and I whole-heartedly approve of this new adventuresomeness! Why, next you'll be venturing onto dry land! Elmo will have to take to the TREES to avoid your amorous flippers ...